“When the surf steps up in power, the STEP-DRIVER steps up with it, allowing the surfer to control and capitalize on the speed and power of proper waves.”
Developed specifically with our elite team, the STEP-DRIVER is a board that all our top level surfers have been riding in comps, while traveling, or surfing solid waves at home, for the last couple of years.
Simply put, the STEP-DRIVER is a high-performance step-up, directly evolved from the Driver 2.0.
Designed for the highest level of performance surfing, in the type of real waves, where critical maneuvers and tube riding meet. Meant to be ridden 1-2” (or more, if customized) longer, similar width and a bit thicker, than a Driver 2.0 or similar HP shortboard, the STEP-DRIVER rides like a seamless transition from your everyday board, without sacrificing performance for control.
Tested and proven in powerful surf around the world, by WCT surfers such as Olympians, Kolohe Andino, Carissa Moore and Caroline Marks, as well as Griffin Colapinto, Yago Dora and free surfers like Mason Ho and Ian Crane and up-n-comers
like Crosby Colapinto and Eli Hanniman. It’s a one stop shop, for the needs of our entire team.
The STEP-DRIVER allows surfers to ride larger, more powerful and more challenging
waves, as if they were head high and playful, on a board that is usually only 1-2” longer than their everyday board. Anyone with a Driver 2.0 in their quiver (or similar high-performance shortboard), who is looking for that perfect board to transition to when the waves get special (or if you’re lucky to live somewhere like Hawaii or Indo, where these waves are the norm) will be pleased to have the STEP-DRIVER in their arsenal.
Using the Driver 2.0 as starting point, design elements and adaptations include:
• Increased tail rocker, blended smooth, to fit the curve of and control speed in larger, powerful and/or hollow waves.
• A significantly shallower single concave throughout, which reduces lift and smooths out the rail line, to stay stable and settled in the water at high speeds.
• A pronounced double concave, cutting through the extra tail rocker, for retaining speed and spice through turns.
• Increased forward thickness, for drive and paddling power, with a lower volume,
tapered rail, flowing into a thin, sharp and boxy performance tail, for locked in, full rail engagement, when turning at high speeds.
• Less width in the rear 1/3 of the outline overall. While retaining enough surface area under the rear foot to continue with proper, vertical performance surfing (not just a tube shooting gun).
• The tail is pulled in, with plenty of curve, to keep loose and a defined, slight “pin" in the last few inches, behind the rear fin, for bite and control, allowing confidence when doing turns in critical sections, rather than running to the shoulder.
Whether you’re a world class surfer pushing the limits of performance surfing in solid waves, or a dedicated, everyday HP Shortboard devotee, or even someone who typically rides hybrids in daily surf but wants a "real board in real waves”, the STEPDRIVER is our ultimate tool to carry when traveling to find good waves or to have on hand when the local spots are firing on all cylinders.